I was recently nominated for a couple awards by my fellow bloggers and I thought I’d combine the two into one post. I was nominated by Stash Matters for the Blogger Recognition Award, and I was also nominated by Lipstick on the Lake for the Liebster Award. So first off, thank you to both for nominating me! Secondly, if you aren’t subscribed to either of them, I’d recommend you do so pronto! Both are blogs I read regularly and really enjoy!
Blogger Recognition Award Rules
- Write a post explaining why you started blogging along with a few tips.
- Nominate some of your fellow bloggers.
- Comment on their blogs to let them know you’ve nominated them
I started blogging earlier this year because I was needing an outlet for creativity and I had an urge to re-discover my love of writing. When I was younger, I used to write all the time and I thought that I would actually end up doing it as my career, or at least part of my career. As I got older, writing fell off my radar and I ended up in a job that doesn’t require me to do much of it at all. I do enjoy my job (most days) but there’s not a lot of room for me to be creative in it.
I actually considered starting a blog a while ago but the whole concept of it seemed a little scary. There were a few blogs that I read on a regular basis and they seemed so professional and polished and I didn’t even know where to begin. Then back in March, after feeling particularly unmotivated by my job, I decided to take the plunge. Initially I wanted to blog about EVERYTHING but after doing a bit of reading I discovered it was probably better to scale that back a bit and focus on one or two topics, at least to start. I’ve always loved makeup and trying new products and reviewing them, so I figured why not start a blog in relation to those 2 things and see where it took me. And the rest is history! I’ve learned so much in the last 7 months, including how much work running a blog really is! I wish I had more time to focus on it but balancing my everyday life with blogging has been more challenging than I could have imagined. But nothing good ever comes easy right?
In terms of tips, I found this a little hard because I’m still trying to figure this whole blogging thing out myself. I do know that being consistent is important though – and it’s something I’ve been struggling with the last few months. Not because I don’t want to post, but because writing up posts, editing them, taking pictures, editing those, re-taking them when I realize they look like crap, etc. all takes a ton of time. I’ve found that scheduling designated blogging time in my week really helps me with staying consistent, and I try really hard to stick to that time actually being blogging time, no matter what is going on. Otherwise, it just doesn’t happen.
A second tip I have to pass along is what I found, and still find to be a great resource on WordPress – Blogging University! I never actually registered for the courses, but I used the Ebooks extensively during the first month or two of blogging. Subjects include Writing, Photography, Growing Your Traffic, etc. and they are completely free to download! They are super helpful and I still refer back to them as they are an invaluable resource. I’m thinking of actually registering for some of their courses next month because this is all still fairly new to me and I still have a lot to learn!
Lastly, I find that good spelling and grammar are so important when blogging and are imperative to a giving your blog a professional feel. And even though I’m a bit of a stickler for it, I just recently made a spelling error in the title of one of my posts. I cringed and fixed it, but I didn’t notice it until a few days after I had posted it so the damage had already been done. So after you proofread and publish your posts, it’s probably a good idea to do a quick review once it’s actually live. And I’ll be taking my own advice on this too.
And now, on to the Liebster Award!
Liebster Award Rules:
- Once nominated, make a post thanking and linking the person who nominated you.
- Include the LIEBSTER AWARD sticker in your post too.
- Nominate 10 other bloggers who you think are worthy of this award.
- Let them know that they have been nominated by commenting on 1 of their posts. You can nominate the person who nominated you.
- Answer the 10 questions asked to you by the person who nominated you and make ten questions of your own for your nominees.
- Lastly, copy these rules in the post.
Lipstick on the Lake’s Questions:
- Black or brown eyeliner? Most always, black! I love black liquid eyeliner but every so often I’ll pull out my Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencil in Roach (grossest name ever) or Smog to make my blue eyes pop.
- Favourite food? If I had to pick just one, it would definitely be pizza. There’s so many varieties, I rarely get sick of eating it.
- Favourite makeup purchase this year? Yikes, this is a hard one. I’d have to say my Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation. One of my favorite You Tubers is Leighannsays, and she is always referring to this as one of her top foundations. I gave it a try a few months ago and I love it too! It lasts almost all day, the color is a perfect match and it makes my skin look flawless. Plus it’s from the drugstore so its more than reasonably priced!
- Coffee or tea? Honestly, neither. Coffee and caffeinated tea do weird things to me – drinking them gives me the shakes and makes my stomach queasy. So when I need a warm drink I reach for hot chocolate!
- Favourite TV show that is no longer on the air? The first thing that came to my mind when I read this question was Felicity. Does anyone remember this show? It was with Keri Russell who I love and it was soooo good! I was always rooting for Noel and I hated it when she chopped her hair off.
- Warm or cool tones? Almost always cool. I have cool-toned skin!
- What CD can you listen to over and over, and never get tired of? This is also a hard one because I will listen to songs/albums over and over again until I’m sick of them and never want to hear them again. But I do love Ed Sheeran’s album X and haven’t gotten sick of it yet (and I’ve been listening to it for a while!)
- If you won a $100 gift card for Sephora, what would you buy with it? I saw the a video advertising this Tarte Holiday Set this morning on Sephora’s Youtube Channel and I want it! So I’d get that for sure. I’d then pick up this Living Proof Full Shampoo because its awesome but I have a hard time justifying $30 for a bottle of shampoo.
- Favourite Holiday? Halloween by far! I love decorating my house – inside and outside, and on Halloween night I dress up my dog and we hand out candy to the 20 kids we get. She loves meeting all the kids and I love seeing all the costumes!
- Best trip you have ever taken? My husband and I love to travel so we’ve actually had lots of memorable trips. The one that sticks out the most in my mind would have to a 3 week trip we took to Europe a year and a half ago to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary. We visited London, Paris, Venice, Rome & Monte Carlo and we had a blast. I had never been to Europe before so it was so cool things I had only ever saw in pictures, in real life.
Here are my questions:
- Favourite tv show?
- What’s your must-have hair product?
- Where is the best meal you’ve ever eaten and what was it?
- If you could spend a day with one celebrity (dead or alive), who would it be and why?
- Mac or PC?
- What websites do you visit frequently?
- What’s the last book you read?
- What’s your favourite store to shop for clothes at?
- Who’s your favourite YouTuber or Blogger?
- Most expensive beauty product you own?
Lipstick on the Lake (For the Blogger Recognition Award)
stash.matters (For the Liebster Award)
I’m kind of cheating and only nominating 10 bloggers but I’d also like to extend the nomination out to anyone else who’d like to do this tag. They’re both fun to do! If you’ve recently been nominated for either of these awards and done up your post, please disregard my nomination. Or if you’re just not into awards, no offense taken!
Thanks again for the nominations and I love forward to reading your posts!
5 Replies to “Blogger Recognition Award / Liebster Award!”
Congrats on your awards! Blogging IS time consuming but so rewarding. I have to just remember to balance real life with online life. 🙂 Ooh I never heard of Blogging University. That should have been required reading when people start a blog on WP! Thanks for sharing that.
That CG foundation is my favourite drugstore foundation – so amazing for such a relatively inexpensive price tag!
I remember Felicity although I never watched it. Haha, the Keri Russell hair chop incident was the stuff of legends.
Thanks for the nomination – I’ve done this before so I’ll answer you here in a comment!
Ooooh! Thanks for the nomination! Might just have to check out this Blogging University thing! I am the same way with caffeinated things…it does weird things to my body, not okay with that! haha. I want to go to Monte Carlo, I feel like no one ever talks about going there!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Your welcome! Monte Carlo was pretty cool but crazy expensive! Also its literally the land of the rich and beautiful and richer and more beautiful. Everyone looks like they stepped out of a magazine there. Very interesting place! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you for the nomination! I’ll try to get my post up within the next week or so! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
You’re welcome! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person